Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Lockdown and Gospel - Day 24, February 2 (Feast of the Presentation of the Lord)

(How does today’s Gospel speak to me during this lockdown? Allow me to share a humble reflection.)


“The child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom; and the favour of God was upon him.” (Luke 2:40)

This editorial line from Luke concludes the account of the trip that Joseph and Mary made to present their newborn baby, Jesus, at the Temple. It also sums up everything we know about the childhood of Christ, emphasizing that it was a time of physical, psychological and spiritual growth.

Is the lockdown a time of growth for me? Obviously, I stopped growing physically many years ago. Still, I need to take care of my body and keep myself healthy. Psychologically, I’m far from having attained full maturity. In this respect, the solitude and forced idleness imposed by the lockdown are like a school that opens up new interior spaces for me to discover and integrate. Finally, at the spiritual level, as the lockdown upsets my habitual practices. It invites me to discover new forms of prayer, celebration and communion.

Abba, Father, you watch over me like your beloved child. Regardless of my age, you want to see me continually grow and flourish. Whatever the context, you help me to live abundantly. May my body, my heart and my mind unite in an ongoing process of growth which will only cease when I ultimately come into your presence.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment