Saturday, February 6, 2021

Lockdown and Gospel - Day 28, February 6 (Saturday of the fourth week of Ordinary time)

(How does today’s Gospel speak to me during this lockdown? Allow me to share a humble reflection.)


He said to them, “Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a while.” (Mark 6:31)

Returning from their first mission, the Apostles are eager to share all they have experienced with Jesus. He suggests that they withdraw from the crowd to enjoy a little rest. Jesus's invitation transcends mere physical well-being. It takes on a deeply spiritual dimension. In fact, in the Bible, “rest” is a grace granted by God, the characteristic note of the Sabbath, a messianic gift.

I certainly feel like I’ve “come away to a deserted place” during this lockdown. In fact, I’m occasionally frustrated by this forced rest. I can't wait to go out, to gather with friends, to take up my activities. However, I notice that Jesus included himself in his invitation to the Apostles. He didn’t say "Go and rest," but "Come and rest". My lockdown experience will change if I recognize that Jesus is in it with me, at my side, in my heart. His presence transforms this prolonged halt into a spiritual renewal.

Abba, Father, you give me a faithful companion in this lockdown: your Son Jesus, my brother. With him, I can transform this long period of social convalescence into a journey of healing, renewal and fulfillment. Help me recognize his presence and share it all around.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment