Sunday, January 10, 2021

Lockdown and Gospel -- Day 1, January 10 (Baptism of the Lord)

(Here is a short reflection on how I see the Gospel of today’s Mass calling me to live the lockdown here in Quebec.)


“People from the whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem were going out to John, and were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.... In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan."(Mark 1, 5,9)


The evangelist Mark relates how the people of Israel responded with one heart to John the Baptist's invitation to come and be baptized. Jesus joined this movement discreetly, without drawing any attention to himself. He mingled with the crowd of sinners and accepted to be immersed in the water with them. He joined his people as they sought to distance themselves from evil in all its forms.

The solidarity shown by Jesus in this scene invites me to be in solidarity with those around me during this lock-down. I also am a member of a people that seeks to avoid the physical evil of the coronavirus. This effort isn’t easy for any of us, and I might be tempted to think only of my own well-being. Yet, the Gospel invites me to follow Jesus in striving for the common good, the good others share with me.

Abba, Father, help me to recognize this lockdown as an opportunity to contribute to the good of my brothers and sisters by being patient, persevering and courageous. Teach me to follow the example of your Son Jesus, make me aware that we are all in this together.

1 comment:

  1. I read testimonies and reviews about him so I contacted him immediately, explained my problems to him. Same day , he casted a spell for me and assured me for 2 days that my husband will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my husband came knocking on my door and begged for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married again, he proposed. I wouldn't stop talking about him. Contact him today if you need his help via email: emutemple@gmail.com and you will see that your problem will be solved without any delay. Website: https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ whatsapp number +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete