Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Lockdown and Gospel - Day 4, January 13 (Wednesday of the first week in Ordinary Time)

 

(How does the today’s Gospel call me to engage the lockdown? Allow me to share with you my humble reflection.)


“Now Simon’s mother-in-law was in bed with a fever… Jesus came and took her by the hand and lifted her up. Then the fever left her, and she began to serve them.” (John 15:11)

The first miracle that Mark recounts in his Gospel is an exorcism. The physical healing of Simon's mother-in-law is the second. Jesus frees people from illnesses of both the soul and the body. He thus manifests his dominion over the powers of evil that prevent human beings from being fully alive. In response to his healing, Simon's mother-in-law places herself at the service of others. Having recovered her health, she imitates Jesus by loving her neighbor.

The pandemic is making us all sick to varying degrees. I may not have caught the virus, but I am suffering the consequences of its spread in our world: impoverished relationships, difficulties at work, anxiety and isolation lead to discouragement, even to depression. Healthcare workers - blessed are they - are dedicated to freeing us from physical illness, but who will free me from the sickness of soul that this lockdown causes?

Abba, Father, I also need healing. Open my heart to your Spirit, the "hand" of Jesus reaching out to touch me and set me free. Restore peace and confidence in me so that, as did Simon's mother-in-law, I will happily serve others.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment