Monday, January 18, 2021

Lockdown and Gospel - Day 9, January 18 (Monday of the second week of Ordinary time)

 

(How does today’s Gospel speak to me during this lockdown? Allow me to share with you my humble reflection.)


Jesus said to them, “The wedding guests cannot fast while the bridegroom is with them, can they? As long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast. The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast on that day.” (Mark 2:19-20)

The Pharisees are scandalized again, this time because Jesus's disciples do not fast twice a week, as was the custom among pious Jews of the day. Jesus uses their question to a more important issue, that of his identity. In the Old Testament, the Covenant between God and Israel was sometimes understood as a marriage where God played the part of the bridegroom and the people that of the bride. Jesus takes pm God’s role, announcing that he himself comes to renew the Covenant. his renewal, however, will only be accomplished in his death, when the Bridegroom will be "taken away" from the wedding guests.

Like the early Christians, I am torn between the joy of knowing the Risen Christ and the pain of his absence. I believe he will come in glory at the end of time, but until then life is often painful, like during this lockdown. I’m forced to fast against my will. I must fast from family, friends, outings and pleasurable habits. How can I hold on to Christian joy in the midst of hardship?

Abba, Father, give me the confidence of your Son, Jesus. He never doubted your love, despite the challenge, the rejection, the betrayal and the suffering he experienced. He came to reestablish my relationship with you, sealing a new Covenant in his body and in his blood. He is the faithful spouse who will never forsake me. For that, I give you thanks.

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I read testimonies and reviews about him so I contacted him immediately, explained my problems to him. Same day , he casted a spell for me and assured me for 2 days that my husband will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my husband came knocking on my door and begged for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married again, he proposed. I wouldn't stop talking about him. Contact him today if you need his help via email: emutemple@gmail.com and you will see that your problem will be solved without any delay. Website: https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ whatsapp number +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete