Monday, January 11, 2021

Lockdown and Gospel - Day 2, January 11 (Monday of the first week in ordinary time)

 (How does the Gospel of today's Mass call me to live the lockdown here at home? Allow me to share with you my humble reflection.)


Jesus said: “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news.” … Immediately, [Peter and Andrew] left their nets and followed him. (Mark 1:15.18)


This is the gist of Jesus' message, according to Mark: the time is ripe for God to come and reign in our hearts and in the world, we just need to welcome God’s intervention. Peter and Andrew, James and John believed him, they left everything to follow him.

Very nice, but I have two objections. First, a lockdown doesn’t seem a ripe time for anything, it rather seems dismal to me. I can't see anyone, I can't do anything, not even go to Church to pray a little. And second, even though, like the apostles, this lockdown obliges me to give up many things, I have no choice, it is forced upon me. They were free, unlike me.

Abba, Father, help me to overcome these negative reactions. Make me understand that times are never ripe in themselves, that it is I, rather, who must turn them into a propitious moment. And teach me to freely accept the situations imposed on me, so that they become opportunities for growth and renewal. Your reign comes today, I only have to open my heart to welcome it.

No comments:

Post a Comment